Kurtis Townsend
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
University of Kansas

Chosen Attribute: Leadership

Dictionary definition: "An act or instance of leading; guidance; direction."

My definition: "Being a role model to the athletes and people I am around every day and just doing what I can where I am with what I have."

What has helped me develop leadership: "Become a Better You" by Joel Osteen – "It was a good book for me, encouraging me to be comfortable where I am right now with my life. I want to be a head coach one day, but if that never happens, I know I am able to touch a lot of people with the platform that I have right now."

Favorite Scripture that deals with leadership: Proverbs 22:6 (NKJV) – "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it."

Why I chose this passage: "I think that describes how important leadership is, not only with my own kids, but also with the kids I come in contact with either through recruiting, coaching or competing against them. It is important to train these kids because of the way the culture is. There is so much negative out there. And it is really important that they have people around them who see things another way and can open their eyes to a different way of life than what they see within their generation."

How I have shown leadership in my life: "Through my actions with my kids, my wife and my finances, and just trying to help the people I am around on a day-to-day basis. To me, leadership isn't just telling people what to do. I am the furthest thing from a perfect person. I make as many mistakes as anybody, and sometimes that is the best way I learn."

"But also, I apply the old saying of showing people how you want them to act as opposed to telling them. What you do has more of an impact on them than what you say."

How I have shown leadership in coaching: "Because of the influence I have on young people, I try to be a model with my actions every day. I try to listen and coach with integrity and let people know what I expect from them. And when people know you care about them as a person, and you listen to them, they are more likely to listen to what you have to say."

As a leader, I try to put other people ahead of myself and be more of a servant — serving my players the best way I can, whether it is listening or helping them deal with their problems. But ultimately, leadership is showing them integrity. I am going to tell them the right thing to do, even if it hurts. I want them to know how important integrity is, and that it is the biggest thing in leadership. And I honestly believe that is why God has put me in this situation: To be on a platform where people listen. And so, I just want to make sure I send the right message."